Saturday, June 14, 2008

Google Bombing

While researching for topics related to RSS, I jumped over and over a couple of wiki pages to be able to get a gist of some of the computer internet jargons such as digg. To my surprise, I also saw this term "Google bombing" and it made me more interested in it rather than "digging".

It cited an example of Google bombing such as the "miserable failure" leading to George W. Bush's site. I can also recall in the past that I've done this search-the-keyword "miserable failure" and tada magic... the top site searches led to the white house's site.

I'm not pretty sure about it but I think some of it maybe done thru the meta tags in HTML in which you enter the keywords which best suit the description of your site. An example of it is the tags or labels you want to associate for this blog entry for your site.

Here's the site I found with Before and After searches of the words "miserable failure"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dannysullivan/369539947/

And now I'm wondering... how is this possible? Is it alright to directly put the blame on the web developer of those sites inserting such keywords in it?

Supposedly, yes. But in this article, I found out how it works. I think it best describes the whole Google bombing event and how it was resolved.

While there are tips concerning SEO (Search Engine Optimization), there will always be something mysterious popping out around the web for us heavy web users. But it is quite interesting to note, for myself, to document this in my blog.

Digg Stumble This Del.icio.us Mixx Furl Propeller Simpy Live Twitthis Add To Slashdot Spurl Google Yahoo Reddit Technorati Blinklist Blogmarks Smarkings Ma.gnolia SphereIt Sphinn Feedmelinks

No comments: